ABOUT VIN CHIP
Caravan thefts reached a record high in 1990 of 5,400 units, so with insurance premiums going up and consumer confidence going down, there was a call for action by insurers.
The NCC (the trade body for the leisure vehicle industry) enlisted the support of the Metropolitan Police. Following their advice, a blend of overt and covert systems was introduced backed by a robust database. A key development was the introduction in 1998 of RFID chips that would be secreted into the body of caravans. The Police recommended any such electronic chip should carry the VIN – enabling officers to determine ownership with a police restricted scanner.
The VIN provides immediate access to the Country of origin, manufacturer, year of manufacture and model. The ability to check the VIN directly is an essential part of any police investigation.
Caravan and motorhome theft has significantly fallen and remains low, since the industry implemented the Anti-Theft Prevention System, now branded as VIN CHIP.
PREVENTING CRIME FOR OVER 25 YEARS
Since 1998, we have evolved to become the leading security and recovery system for the leisure industry. Our continued success is heavily reliant on our continuous development programme improving the system.
VIN CHIP is proud to be part of the official police security initiative Secured by Design, making it a Police Preferred Specification accredited product.
VIN CHIP’s SOLUTION
VIN CHIP provides overt markings, highly visible security labels displaying the VIN and a unique QR code to warn criminals the vehicle is VIN CHIP protected, and if scanned, instantly confirms the asset identity. The technologically advanced RFID scanners are issued to Police and Law Enforcement agencies who work closely with us, and even if criminals seek to re-identify an asset, the RFID chip will still reveal its true identity providing a fast, reliable process of verification.
WHAT’S NEXT FOR VIN CHIP?
VIN CHIP has been encouraged to work with construction companies and is now expanding into new sectors. A range of kits have been specifically designed for the agricultural, construction and plant industries, where theft is still a major cause for concern.
- All caravans fitted with CRiS RFID technology
- CRiS Contact Centre brought back in house
- VIN CHIP was launched and became the industry standard for touring caravan manufacturers
- New style registration document went ’live’ with additional security features
- CRiS is ISO9001 certified
- VIN CHIP is ISO9001 certified
- Swift and Erwin Hymer Group become the first manufacturers to fit VIN CHIP as standard on motorhomes.
- CRiS is ISO27001 certified
- VIN CHIP joins Secured by Design making it a police preferred specification accredited product
- Celebrates 25 years preventing crime
- VIN CHIP rebrands and expands into new sectors
- New VIN CHIP labels for leisure vehicles
Trusted Manufacturers who install VIN CHIP from new: