Terms & Conditions
OUR PRODUCTS ARE:
- The VIN Chip upgrade Kit, which is a product for marking a caravan (for security purposes) which has been registered with us; and
- The VIN Chip Plus Kit is a security kit which is in addition to the VIN Chip upgrade Kit containing items to enhance the safety and security of a caravan. The VIN Chip Plus Kit security marking pack uses the unique Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) throughout each element and with the combination of RFD tagging, security marketing and CRiS security dots, acts as a strong deterrent. In the event of a theft or write-off, if the caravan’s safety is compromised or if it is subject to an insurance claim, it will be even easier to help.
OUR SERVICES ARE:
- Registration of
- Caravans already registered with CRiS; and of
- Caravans not already registered with CRiS (i.e. Pre 1992 or imported)
- and "CRiS Check" – that is dealing with an enquiry to us about a caravan registered with CRiS (see clause 19.2(c)).
To order any of our Products and/or Services YOU MUST comply with our requirements as set out in the section at the end of these Terms – see clause.
These Terms will apply to any contract between us for the sale of our Products and providing our Services to you (Contract). Please read these Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them, before ordering any of our Products or any of our Services.
Please note that by ordering our Products or any of our Services, you agree to be bound by these Terms and the other documents expressly referred to in it.
If you are ordering online on our site, please note that before placing an order you will be asked to agree to these Terms. Please click on the button marked "I Accept" at the end of these Terms if you accept them. If you refuse to accept these Terms, you will not be able to order our Products or any of our Services from our site online.
If you are ordering online through our site, by email, phone, or post, you will be referred to these Terms, which is the only basis that we agree to enter into any contract with you.
You should print a copy of these Terms or save them to your computer for future reference.
We amend these Terms from time to time as set out in clause 6. Every time you wish to order our Products or any of our Services, please check these Terms to ensure you understand the terms which will apply at that time. These Terms were most recently updated on 11th April 2023.
These Terms, and any Contract between us, are only in the English language.
These Terms only apply if you are a "consumer" that is: a person who is over the age of 18 buying our Products or Services for personal use and not for re-sale or for any commercial purposes or in connection with any business. If you are not a consumer you must not make an order for our Products or Services through this webpage on this site or under these Terms.
INFORMATION ABOUT US
1.1 We operate the website www.cris.co.uk We are CRiS Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 08353798 and with our registered office at PO Box 445, Aldershot, GU11 9FS. Our VAT number is 156 4278 92. We are part of the CCNL group of companies.
1.2 To contact us, please see our Contact Us page.
OUR CONTRACT WITH YOU
2.1 When you submit the order (Order) (whether online or otherwise) to us, this does not mean we have accepted your Order for our Products and/or Services. Our acceptance of the Order will take place as described in clause 2.3.
2.2 If we are unable to supply you with our Products or any of our Services, we will inform you of this in writing (including by email) or by phone, as the case may be, and we will not process the Order.
2.3 These Terms will become binding on you and us when we contact you or confirm that we are able to provide you with our Products or the Services at which point a Contract will come into existence between you and us.
2.4 The images of the Products on our site are for illustrative purposes only.
2.5 The packaging of the Products may vary from that shown on images on our site.
2.6 As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to any faults with our Products or where our Products or Services are not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. Nothing in these Terms will affect these legal rights.
3. USE OF OUR SITE
Your use of our site is governed by our Terms of Website Use and Website Acceptable Use Policy. Please take the time to read these, as they include important terms which apply to you.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
5. CONTRACT CONSTITUTES THE ENTIRE AGREEMENT WITH YOU
5.1 On making an Order, you confirm that you are 18 years of age or over and that you are a consumer.
5.2 These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and us. You acknowledge that you have not relied on any statement, promise or representation made or given by or on behalf of us which is not set out in these Terms.
6. OUR RIGHT TO VARY THESE TERMS
6.1 We may revise these Terms from time to time.
6.2 Every time you make an Order, the Terms in force at that time will apply to the Contract between you and us.
6.3 Whenever we revise these Terms in accordance with this clause 6, we will keep you informed by way of notice that these Terms have been amended by reference to the change in the relevant date at the top of this page.
7. OUR PRODUCTS: VIN CHIP UPGRADE KIT & VIN CHIP PLUS KIT
7.1 We reserve the right to make any changes in the specification of our Products which we are required to make in order to comply with any applicable statutory or EU requirements or which we consider from time to time may improve quality or performance.
7.2 All drawings, descriptive matter, specifications and advertising issued by us or contained in our catalogues or brochures are issued or published for the sole purpose of giving an approximate description of any of our Products and their function and shall not form part of these Terms.
7.3 We estimate that your Order for our Products will be fulfilled within 31 days, unless there is an Event Outside Our Control (see clause 14). If we are unable to meet the estimated delivery date because of an Event Outside Our Control, we will contact you with a revised estimated delivery date. Occasionally our delivery to you may be affected by an Event Outside Our Control. See clause 14 for our responsibilities when this happens. Time for delivery shall not be of the essence.
7.4 Delivery will be completed when we deliver the Products to the address that you gave us.
7.5 Please note that timescales for delivery and delivery charges will vary depending on the availability of our Products and your address.
7.6 Unfortunately we do not accept orders from or deliver to addresses outside the UK.
7.7 The Products will be your responsibility from the completion of delivery.
7.8 You own the Products once we have received payment in full, including all applicable delivery charges, the registration fee for the VIN in respect of which the relevant Product was supplied, the fee for the supply of the relevant Product and all other amounts which are, or which become due to us from you at any time.
7.9 We expressly reserve the right to refuse to accept any application for our Products without the need to give any reason.
7.10 IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Once a Contract has been formed between us the Products which you have Ordered will be created to include the unique manufacturer’s vehicle registration number (VIN) to the extent that the Products cannot be used by any other person or for any other purposes. As such the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 do NOT apply nor will you have any right of cancellation during any cooling off period under those regulations.
This does not in any way deprive you of your legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described (see clause 8 below).
8. IF THE PRODUCTS ARE FAULTY
As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. Nothing in these Terms will affect these legal rights.
9. OUR SERVICES
9.1 You must follow the relevant instructions relating to the use of our Services as set out in clause 19 and provide accurate information as required.
9.2 No Order for our Services will be accepted or is to be deemed as accepted by us until all required information and relevant forms as prescribed in clause 19 are received by us and we have allocated a VIN or, if already registered with a VIN, the correct VIN has been given to us.
9.3 We expressly reserve the right to refuse any Order for any of our Services without the need to give any reason.
9.4 We will make every effort to complete the Services on time. However, there may be delays due to an Event Outside Our Control. See clause 14 for our responsibilities when an Event Outside Our Control happens.
10. IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SERVICES
10.1 In the unlikely event that there is any defect with the Services:
- please contact us and tell us as soon as reasonably possible;
- please give us a reasonable opportunity to address any defect; and
- we will use every effort to rectify the defect as soon as reasonably practicable.
You will not have to pay for us to rectify the defect with the Services under this clause 10.1.
10.2 As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to Services not carried out with reasonable skill and care or are not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. Nothing in these Terms will affect these legal rights.
11. PRICE OF OUR PRODUCTS (VIN CHIP UPGRADE KITS & VIN CHIP PLUS KITS) AND OUR SERVICES
11.1 The prices of our Products and our Services (“Prices”) will be as quoted on our site from time to time. We take all reasonable care to ensure that the Prices are correct at the time when the relevant information was entered onto the system. Our Prices may change at any time, but price changes will not affect Orders that we have confirmed with you.
11.2 The Prices are inclusive of VAT at the applicable current rate chargeable in the UK for the time being. However, if the rate of VAT changes between the date of your Order and the date of delivery, we will adjust the VAT you pay, unless you have already paid for the Products and/or Services in full before the change in VAT takes effect.
11.3 The Price of our Products does include delivery charges unless otherwise specified. Our delivery charges are as quoted on our site from time to time.
11.4 Where we are providing our Products or Services to you, you must make payment for them in advance by one of the methods referred to in clause 12.
11.5 In the case of Products, we will charge your credit or debit card in the amount of the Price before we despatch the Products to you.
11.6 Where we are providing Services to you, we will ask you to make an advance payment of the Price of the Services. Your rights to a refund on cancellation are set out in clause 15 (right to cancel and applicable refund).
11.7 If you do not make any payment due to us by the due date for payment, we may charge interest to you on the overdue amount at the rate of 3% a year above the base lending rate of Barclays Bank PLC from time to time. This interest shall accrue on a daily basis from the due date until the date of actual payment of the overdue amount, whether before or after judgment. You must pay us such interest together with any overdue amount.
11.8 However, if you dispute an invoice in good faith and contact us to let us know promptly after you have received an invoice that you dispute it, clause 11.7 will not apply for the period of the dispute.
12. PAYMENT AND HOW TO PAY
12.1 You can only pay for our Products and/or our Services:
- by using a debit card or credit card. We accept the following cards: Mastercard or Visa; or
- online payment through our site or via telephone; or
- by cheque made payable to CRiS Ltd.
12.2 Payment for our Products and all our Services must be made in advance.
12.3 No Order shall be deemed to have been received by us until we have received cleared funds.
12.4 We will send you an electronic receipt by email, but if you do not have an email facility, we will post a hard copy to you at the address given by you.
13. OUR LIABILITY TO YOU
13.1 If we fail to comply with these Terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breach of the Terms or our negligence, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if they were an obvious consequence of our breach or if they were contemplated by you and us at the time we entered into the Contract.
13.2 The supply of our Products and Services under these Terms are only made to consumers for domestic and private use. You agree not to use the Products and/or Services for any commercial, business or re-sale purpose, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
13.3 We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
- breach of the terms implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and by section 2 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (title and quiet possession);
- breach of the terms implied by sections 13, 14 and 15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and sections 3, 4 and 5 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (description, satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and samples); and
- defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
14. EVENTS OUTSIDE OUR CONTROL
14.1 We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under a Contract that is caused by an Event Outside Our Control. An Event Outside Our Control is defined below in clause 14.2.
14.2 An Event Outside Our Control means any act or event beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action by third parties, civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war, fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster, or failure of public or private telecommunications networks or impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport.
14.3 If an Event Outside Our Control takes place that affects the performance of our obligations under a Contract:
- we will contact you as soon as reasonably possible to notify you; and
- our obligations under a Contract will be suspended and the time for performance of our obligations will be extended for the duration of the Event Outside Our Control. Where the Event Outside Our Control affects our delivery of Products to you, we will arrange a new delivery date with you after the Event Outside Our Control is over. Where the Event Outside Our Control affects our performance of Services to you, we will restart the Services as soon as reasonably possible after the Event Outside Our Control is over.
14.4 You may cancel the Contract if an Event Outside Our Control takes place and you no longer wish us to provide the Products and/or Services. Please see your cancellation rights under clause 15. We will only cancel the Contract if the Event Outside Our Control continues for longer than 4 weeks in accordance with our cancellation rights in clause 16.
15. YOUR RIGHTS TO CANCEL AND APPLICABLE REFUND
15.1 Your rights to cancel a Contract are set out as follows:
- In respect of our Products: We refer you to the IMPORTANT NOTICE at clause 7.10. Accordingly, the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 do NOT apply, nor will you have any right of cancellation during any cooling off period under those regulations.
- In respect of our Services: You have a legal right to cancel a Contract under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 within 7 (seven) working days starting from the day after the day of making the Order. Working days means that Saturdays, Sundays or public holidays are not included in this period. However, you will lose your right to cancel where you have confirmed to us that you wish us to provide the Services and that you agree to forego your right of cancellation before making your Order for us to provide the Service/s.
Advice about your legal right to cancel the Contract under these regulations is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office.
15.2 You have the following rights to cancel an Order for our Products and/or Services, including where you choose to cancel because we are affected by an Event Outside Our Control or we change these Terms under clause 6 to your material disadvantage:
- If you cancel an Order under clause 15.1(b) and you have made any payment in advance for Services that have not been provided to you, or in respect of Products that have not been delivered to you in the time advised by us, we will refund these amounts to you, but subject to clauses 15.2(b) and 15.2(c).
- However, if you cancel an Order for Services under clause 15.1(b) and we have already started work on your Order by that time, you will pay us any costs we reasonably incurred in starting to fulfil the Order, and this charge will be deducted from any refund that is due to you or, if no refund is due to you, invoiced to you. We will tell you what these costs are when you contact us. However, where you have cancelled an Order because of our failure to comply with these Terms (except where we have been affected by an Event Outside Our Control), you do not have to make any payment to us.
- Unfortunately, once you have made an Order for our Products and we have accepted it, we will not be able to cancel your Order.
15.3 Once we have begun to provide the Services to you, you may cancel the Contract for Services with immediate effect by giving us written notice if:
- we break this Contract in any material way and we do not correct or fix the situation within 14 days of you asking us to in writing;
- we go into liquidation or a receiver or an administrator is appointed over our assets;
- we change these Terms under clause 6 to your material disadvantage;
- we are affected by an Event Outside Our Control.
16. OUR RIGHTS TO CANCEL AND APPLICABLE REFUND
16.1 If we have to cancel an Order for our Products and/or Services before the Services start or the Products are delivered:
- we may have to cancel an Order before the start date for the Services or before the Products are delivered, due to an Event Outside Our Control or the unavailability of stock or (in the case of Services) key personnel or key materials or technology without which we cannot provide the Services. We will promptly contact you if this happens.
- If we have to cancel an Order under clause 16.1(a) and you have made any payment in advance for Services that have not been provided to you, or Products that have not been delivered to you, we will refund these amounts to you.
- Where we have already started work on your Order for Services by the time we have to cancel under clause 16.1(a), we will not charge you anything and you will not have to make any payment to us.
16.2 Once we have begun to provide the Services to you, we may cancel the Contract for the Services at any time by providing you with at least 2 calendar days' notice in writing. If you have made any payment in advance for Services that have not been provided to you, we will refund these amounts to you.
16.3 We may cancel the Contract for Services at any time with immediate effect by giving you written notice if:
- you do not pay us when you are supposed to as set out in clause 11. This does not affect our right to charge you interest under clause 11.7; or
- you break the Contract in any other material way and you do not correct or fix the situation within 14 days of us asking you to in writing.
17. COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN US
17.1 When we refer, in these Terms, to "in writing", this will include e-mail.
17.2 To cancel a Contract in accordance with your legal right to do so as set out in clause 15, you must contact us in writing by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com or by post at the address given at clause 1.1. You may wish to keep a copy of your cancellation notification for your own records. If you send us your cancellation notice by e-mail or by post, then your cancellation is effective from the date you sent us the e-mail or posted the letter to us.
17.3 If you wish to contact us in writing for any other reason, you can send this to us by email or by pre-paid post at our registered office detailed in clause 1.1. You can always contact us using our Contact Centre telephone number.
17.4 If we have to contact you or give you notice in writing, we will do so by e-mail or by pre-paid post to the address you provide to us in your order.
17.5 Please note that any notice given by you to us, or by us to you, will be deemed received and properly served immediately when posted on our website, 24 hours after an e-mail is sent, or three days after the date of posting of any letter. In proving the service of any notice, it will be sufficient to prove, in the case of a letter, that such letter was properly addressed, stamped and placed in the post and, in the case of an e-mail, that such e-mail was sent to the specified e-mail address of the addressee. The provisions of this clause shall not apply to the service of any proceedings or other documents in any legal action.
18. OTHER IMPORTANT TERMS
18.1 We may transfer our rights and obligations under a Contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights or our obligations under these Terms. We will always notify you in writing or by posting on this webpage if this happens.
18.2 You may only transfer your rights or your obligations under these Terms to another person if we agree in writing.
18.3 This contract is between you and us. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms, whether under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties Act) 1999 or otherwise.
18.4 Each of the paragraphs of these Terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful or unenforceable, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
18.5 If we fail to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Terms, or if we do not enforce our rights against you, or if we delay in doing so, that will not mean that we have waived our rights against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. If we do waive a default by you, we will only do so in writing, and that will not mean that we will automatically waive any later default by you.
18.6 These Terms are governed by English law. This means that a Contract, and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims), will be governed by English law. We both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales
19. ORDERING OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
For the purpose of this clause 19, the expression “Keeper” does NOT mean the legal owner. The Keeper is person who is responsible for the relevant Asset in terms of official communications from the police and other Regulatory Authorities, who has registered the Asset in question with CRIS. For example, if the relevant Asset is financed under a hire purchase arrangement, the legal owner is the finance company, but the Keeper is the person taking out the finance and registering with CRIS as the Keeper. In most cases the owner will also be the keeper, for example where the relevant Asset is owned outright without finance and is both personally used and under the exclusive control of the person registering the relevant Asset with us. We do not and cannot register ownership of the relevant Asset.
19.1 Our Products (VIN Chip upgrade Kit and VIN Chip Plus Kit):
- If you are already registered with us as a keeper of your caravan you can purchase a VIN Chip Plus Kit, because in all likelihood you will already have a VIN Chip upgrade Kit, but please check with us before making your Order;
- If you are not registered with us as the keeper of your caravan, please contact us before making your order so that we can guide you on the registration procedure and process that you will need in order to obtain registration with CRiS of your unique vehicle registration number (VIN),as well as the choice of Product best suited for you.
- You can make an Order:
- online; or
- by telephoning or by post subject to payment as referred to in clauses11 and 12 above.
19.2 Our Services
- Change of Keeper - if you are already registered with CRiS as the keeper of your caravan you can apply to register a change of keeper either:
- online on this site; or
- by sending us by post a completed Form CVR/8 (Registration of Change of Keeper or such other form as you may from time to time require) and comply with the instructions on that form which must be signed and dated by you.
- or by Telephone on 0203 282 1000 (office opening hours are Monday - Friday: 09:00-17:30
Saturday - Sunday: Closed)
- Change of Keeper if you are not registered with CRiS as the keeper of your caravan because your caravan is imported into the UK or is a pre-1992 model, you can apply to register a change of keeper either:
- online on this site; or
- by sending us by post or a completed Form CVR/10 or such other form as you may from time to time require) and comply with the instructions on that form which must be signed and dated by you.
- or by Telephone on 0203 282 1000 (office opening hours are Monday - Friday: 09:00-17:30
Saturday - Sunday: Closed)
By ordering the Services mentioned above at clauses 19.1(a) and 19.1(b) , you declare that the details you provide whether online or on the forms you submit are correct in their entirety and that the caravan complies in all respects with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and standards for registration with us.
- Enquiry for a - CRiS Check
- In respect of a CRiS Check we will provide a verification service based on information that we hold on our CRiS Register which includes, but is not limited to, the VIN and description of each caravan (“CRiS Information”).
- This Service will require you to give us information which we check against the CRiS Register. When submitting your enquiry for a CRiS Check you must provide us with accurate and complete information, including the VIN of the caravan, in order to ensure we may deal with your enquiry promptly. You will still be charged if you give us incorrect details or answers to our questions.
- In response to your enquiry, we will confirm or deny whether the information received from you (the VIN and description of each caravan) matches that on the CRiS Register (a provenance check), whether there is any outstanding finance, or the caravan has an insurance classification against it. No personal information will be given by us. The provenance check is an accepted industry standard and includes:
- If a caravan has been reported as stolen to the police
- If it has been recorded with outstanding finance with specialist finance houses registered with us
- If it has been written off by an insurance company with specialist insurance companies registered with us
- If it is registered with us to a named keeper, but we cannot release their name unless we have their authority to do so.
- Under no circumstances will we provide you with any details of the keeper or of former keepers of the caravan registered with us nor disclose any other personal data (as defined under the Data Protection Act 2018) about keepers.
- Your Order may be made by email or telephone (see the Contact Us page).
Our provenance checks are limited to those noted at (iii) above and also limited in extent to the various institutional sources in terms of finance houses and insurance companies with whom we have arrangements and from which we are able to source relevant information (“institutional information”). Note that this institutional information will be that retrieved at the time of our searching only.
We will not be held liable for any changes following such time because such change will be made by the institutions or thirds parties which are outside of our control.
Please also note that we will not be held liable if following registration of your caravan we discover incorrect, false, misleading or fraudulent information, including institutional information, was given to us during our searches on which we innocently relied in dealing with the registration. In these circumstance, we reserve the absolute right to remove the registration from our database or, alternatively, we may retain it , but subject to a further “red flag” alerting anyone carrying out a CRiS -check against your caravan about the nature and issues discovered subsequent to the registration.