IMI Accredited Forensic methods of VIN recovery
Theory and practical course for the recovery of the original VIN or unique serial numbers when they have been removed/ground out.
Course content and learning outcomes
- Understand how stamping affects the molecular structure of metal
- How to prepare the metal for re-etching
- Be able to re-etch steel
- Be able to re-etch aluminium
- Be able to re-etch cast iron
- Have a complete understanding regarding health and safety protocol before, during and after re-etching
- Effectively set up a camera in manual mode to photograph identification numbers
- Accurately cast of a suspect VIN number using Isomark and evidencing the cast
- How to correctly statement a chemical or thermal restoration (Public Immunity Issues)
Next Course(s): Thursday 30th November 2023
Thursday 21st March 2024
This is a one-day course with a mix of theory, plus practical training, and assessment in the training room. Students also sit an end of course multiple-choice examination.
The cost of the course is £599 + VAT per delagate.
Thursday 30th November 2023
Training course reviews
Since that initial course, hundreds of officers from around the country have been trained in the skill of basic vehicle identification techniques. A sample of the comments made by students on completion of the course:
"Very good course, good practical training exercises. Trainer explained process very well."
Daniel McGurk - Warwickshire Police
"Brilliant. Really looked forward to this one. Excellent delivery + Fascinating content."